After 25 years, I’ve finally been to Sicily! This is the place where my mother-side family comes from and I really wanted to go there, as mentioned in my travel wishlist 2018. I was there just for one weekend so I didn’t have the opportunity to visit the city where my mom is from. It will be for the next time!
I spent 2 days in Catania. Here are my must do’s:
• Piazza Duomo: this is the main square. The must-do is the visit to the cathedral. All the Italian cathedrals are so beautiful and the visit is free. On the square, you will see the elephant fountain. The legend says that the elephant is magic and is protecting the city.
• Eat Italian! Maybe it’s because my mom is Italian, maybe not, but Italian cuisine is my favorite. I had delicious aubergines pasta at Bistro Universita. Don’t miss the real Sicilian granita. I had the best of my life in Prestipino!
• Shopping: the main street, via Etnea, is full of nice shops. I usually don’t link to spend time shopping when I’m in a city for just 2 days. But I was looking for shoes for months and I finally found what I wanted in Catania!
• Bellini Gardens: it’s a nice place to have some rest. It’s located on the main street.
• Go to the market. This is the place where you will meet the locals. I loved it!
• Visit the Roman amphitheater. It’s free. It’s also located on the main street.
And of course, I couldn’t leave Catania without going to the Mount Etna! I booked a tour with Etna Experience and I totally recommend this company! Our guide, Marcello, was amazing! It was an awesome experience!
I really enjoyed this 2 days of Catania. Even if it was my first time in Sicily, I felt like home because I recognized so many things that I used to see or to hear with my family. I will go back and explore more! And you, have you ever been there? Tell me where in comments!